Thursday, December 30, 2004

Salsa Competition Semi Final Part 2

This look like an overdue review that comes in late. Oh yeah, late as in I lose most part of my memories from that nite. Feeling like a goldfish of late, in regards to my memory :-) Maybe the words will not be stronger too, since I recall been pretty pissed off that nite.

This round the place is even more packed. I din manage to get any 'live' tickets, so I can only sit down from afar and view the 'live' telecast. Oh, tell me about it man. The telecast sux. Poor Angle. Poor Lens. Poor Tele! So it might be highly possible due to all these reviews, I find the dance on the nite mostly too boring, too mild! Its like watching some poorly capture screener from our next door neighbour on vcd (its not even dvd quality!). I must say this will definitely affect one's judgement.

Couple no.1. Tell me what I remember! I can't remember anything! Ok, this just simply means its not impressive enough. I was kinda bored with it. But I do not discredit them. they have nice and neat moves. No big bang. No multiple orgasm ... i mean turns and spins and flips. Its not exciting is what I'm trying to say. And they have wasted a good ending potion. Its wonderful music with nice beat for ending a choreo-ed dance but its all wasted by standing there waiting.

Couple no.2 seems to come in from the same league with couple no.1. I sense no life, no sensational feel, no enticing feeling. Sorry but i must say the guy is a little too stiff. Almost no body movement from him. I do not agree with too much shaking, but too little does not look great on everyone. On some dancers, u can see the pose, it gives u a very good and clean feel, but on others, lifeless and dead is the thoughts.

All those long enough in the salsa scene will probably know about this guy. The guy with a lot of experiences. No one (competitors i meant) has most experiences than him, in terms of taking part in competition. Couple no.3 has a great dance, I must say. Dance to the music but not the beat. I'm like watching a comtemporary dance instead of a salsa performance. Where IS the beat, I must ask. I'm lost just within the first few bars. Maybe he's the muscle man, carrying his lady round and round. Beat s me what is that for.

Couple no.4 is good, I must say. From the wonderful invention called television, they looked flawless tho I heard offline comments there's a couple of mistakes here and there. Hey, its amateur competition lor. But still, the dance gives me a "energy-less" feel. But that is the start, it gradually got exciting, more challenging and more and more movements are coming out. I must say its well-paced. You don't throw all everything out in one go. The one flaw I found is also the "not-so-exciting" music.

Did I hear Aladdin theme song coming out? And yesh it is! Couple no. 5 even has dressing that of Arabic sense. A veiled lady partner! Cool! One and only one in the competition. I must say it starts very very vvvvvvery slowly, like some lomantika dance! The audience are enticed! Wow, lovely effect, I must say. Its the creativity as well, doing something totally different from everyone. Doing it the INDIAN DANCE style! You know what is missing? The tree in the center, then it will just fit in perfectly. Then maybe at a snap of fingers, suddenly out of nowhere will appear a group of supporting dancers to join them. Ok, im joking but hey, they are doing the most simple dance I have seen so far. But maybe its the entertainment value? Maybe its the ceativity in using non-salsa music but correct beat count? No big moves but it also means less chances of screwing up. The couple is enjoying themselves. You should see all the brilliant smiles on their faces.

Couple no.6 done nothing extraordinary. I can't even recall anything! My god! The only amazing thing I remember from them is the last part, the super-duper "monkey jump up and clung onto the tree" move. I'm flabbergasted! Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. Moves I seems often and routinely on my saturday nite out at union square.

Finally, the last couple. The one where I thought I saw Jackie Chan "snake fist" movement in one part of their dance! It has a good start, but as the dance progress, i find a little too many repetitive moves. Just nice clean simple moves. I think its on everyone's agenda. Make it small, make it simple, make it clean. But where is the sensual moves? The feeling? The chemistry? The creativity? The bold? And of course the FLAWLESS? I must be getting bored, I definitely am. Causing I'm complaining about her long skirt! WHAHAHAHAH.. I recalled :-)

I think that is all for now. The finals is just 2 days already, and I'm throwing in my votes on who are the top 2 winner, provided they don't make any more mistakes. I believe in them. I trust them. And most important, if the winner is who I blieve is, I'm getting my drinks, FREE drinks. This I will ensure.


***************************************


Ok now, some other gossips and bitching! WAaahhaha A friend found some fellas blog floating around on the virtual world. Some I know who they are, many I eager to find out. As for why, for me to know, for you to find out. Seems like one of the couple who lost "cannot accept" the fall and "don't understand" why another couple is in instead of a "better" couple. Ok, no naming but I must say, if I am the judge, I will still chooose the other couple else instead of them. Why? Its all written in my blog. Go figure.

This whole competition has sparked off quite a few debates and some unhappiness among the salsaeros and salsaeres. A couple was disqualified for the union square management, and because of that disqualification, they throw in an additional rule to "enforce' their reason for disqualifying the couple. And because of that new rule, they have actually "disqualify" someone else. I have email one of the judges and it seems that the person is been biases or ignoring my email. No response. That person is keeping mum. How nice.

I guess there is just too much "conspiracy" theories for this whole competition. It is a fight for another trophy for the school they are coming from. Did I mention that a lot of emails got banned from been posted on the salasinsingapore forum. A sad issue. I guess they just want to keep their forum "friendly" but its not a good move. So whoever is reading this and knowing what I'm talking about, BITCH YOUR EMAIL TO AN OPEN FORUM THAT ACCEPTS IT. If its any flaming and bombing, dun bother sending into the yahoo forum, it will never get through. NEVER. Unless and of coz if the moderator wanna prove me wrong!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home