Friday, November 17, 2006

Gone for good

Got a SMS from a friend early this week, informing me that my secondary was closing down! Oh mine, I never really know that school do get closed down. Look like it seriously is going to close down. Or rather I heard that it is merging with another school within the same vicinity. A school that I rejected to go to when I was given the option. Probably because i heard not so good things about the school when I'm in my Primary School (they were next to each other only) and one of my uncles got a good friend teaching there. All the more rejected the idea. Anyway, time do not turn back and I had no regrets going where I'm going.



I had my ups and downs there, and my life could almost be said to start shaping from there. I could almost put it that I have known some good friends that and my life path might just be different had I gone to another school. I still recalled that I actually changed one of my choice of schools to this one and I actually ended up at this changed choice. I wondered where my life will lead if I had not made the changes. Like one of those what if comics world.



Remembered having this good friend when I'm there but that friend is as good as gone after almost no contact in the last few years. Though I knew about his contact but somehow, no one just put in the effort to contact each other. The mom was willing to give up his Permanent Resident status so that he could "avoid wasting 2-2.5 years" growing up to be real men, wearing green. Actually wanna talk to the mom on that, that she could hardly control the son when he was in Singapore, how was she going to expect him to be in self-control when he was all alone in downunder.



I'm right, to certain extend. He went to some school, gave up half way, then went to another school, and then gave up again and the cycle was repeating itself. Though the last thing I heard that he had decided to really sit down and study well, to be a skilled employee instead of bumping around.



When he first went over, we did wrote to each other, from a weekly letter to a bi-weekly to monthly to several months once and then it just stopped. I guess boys were still boys. Writing letter was just no fun, and after some time, we just stopped contacting each other. Like the wise old man said there was no banquet in the world that would not end (天下无不散的宴席).



Something amazing about my class was that by the time we got to secondary 4, at least 50% of the class had been together since secondary 1, another 20%-30% for 3 years in the same class. So one might had thought that we are pretty close? Not really, in fact everyone had their own clique and you don't really joined up with other clique unless its due to some school projects. Matter of fact, I had one classmate that was in the same class with me since Primary School, but no, we were not best of friends. Character clashed, I guess. No idea what had happened to him. Probably married and a father already. Actually nothing surprising at all. At my age now, many were already settling down and started a family.



On the brighter side, I'm still in touch with a handful of friends from that era. You know, its not easy to say that you still have a close friend around you, who had known you for more than 15 years. Its just not easy. Maybe I should just go back one more time for its closing ceremony, and
catch up with some teachers, if they could still remember me. Afterall,
its been more than 10 years since I had left school. Had only went back
in the 2-3 years after leaving school, then life caught up on me and
then there were tons of excuses for not going back.




Maybe I should. Maybe. If I could wake up. If........



2 Comments:

Blogger nonex said...

i've known inex for 19yrs.. haha

17/11/06 00:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

true friends as hard to come by.
good friends are harder to come by.
long time good friends are hardest to come by.

i cannot even recall anyone that i'm still in contact that were friends since primary school.

18/11/06 04:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home