Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Where does the hearts go now

charity
Provision of help or relief to the poor; almsgiving.
Something given to help the needy; alms.
An institution, organization, or fund established to help the needy.
Benevolence or generosity toward others or toward humanity.
nonprofit
Not seeking or producing a profit or profits: a nonprofit organization.
Someone once told me that 施比受有福 (to give is better/rewarding/fortunate than to receive). That is when I casually mention about having so many people going around selling tissues. Initially it all start out with5 packets for a dollar, and had degenerate into 3 packets for a dollar. I have nothing against them. In fact, I do buy from them whenever I could, even when I got several packets of such tissues lying around on my desk. I admire those folks that dowan to sit at home and wait for moolah to drop from the sky but comes out and try to sell some decent stuffs to feed themselves. But I just dun like the fact that people bring some handicap folks around, trying to gain some sympathy votes. I'm pretty sure most of us can easily afford that dollar whom the old folks might be waiting to feed their empty stomach.

I am not exactly that keen anymore on those "ask-around-for-donation" when I found out that the "minimum $10" donation drive do not exactly give your $10 to the whatever charity organisation that you think you are giving. A certain percentage goes to the person asking for donation, another percentage to the person or organisation that organise the drive, and what is exactly left to go to the charity? Is that what charity is all about now? Volunteers are a time of the past?

I still remember the day when I was asked given the tin can and told to collection donation on a particular saturday. I think they called it the Flag day back then. Do they still call it that now? On the whole, I think its a good thing to do. You give the kids a break from the books. Got a good excuse to go out to downtown and hangs around there with your friends. Have some friendly competition on who can fill up the tin first. And allow the kids to build up some good karma for their kinded hearted act. Someone mention about getting paid a dollar for the activity but the teacher told advise them to put the dollar into the can. I almost go ballistic on that. WHAT ONE DOLLAR? HOW COME I NEVER GOT MY OWN ONE DOLLAR?

And now the latest war on NKF vs SPH. That is an interesting war. The non-profit organisation that dun look non-profitable to me. The charitable organisation that dun look so charitable to me. Why would a non-profit charitable organisation neeed to pay its CEO 12 month bonus? For successfully con dupe dig convinence more moolah from the public? And the the first class flying trip? The rumoured gold-plated tap? The high paying salaries? Heard from my grapevine that part-timers are paid like 12 bucks an hour. That sure seems like good moolah to me. In this case, the 受 (received) is enjoying the good moolah.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home