Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Merry go round once again

Many years ago, I was complaining about life was such a routine. It sucked big time. Actually it still does now but ... nevermind. Just as I was saying, life was such a routine. Wake up in the morning, go to work, slave like shit at work (technically that dun really happened to me but still, just for the ranting purposes), then go home after work. Monday to Friday on such schedule. Saturday meant to meet friends (count those married/attached/dating personnel out) for dinner/drinks/movies. Life's a bored, dun ya think? Or maybe its just my life.

Then we have this band of friends (of course single lah) that will always meet up pretty often doing nothing much exciting, just the usual round of kopi, movies, dinner, talk-cock-sing-song sessions. I was really getting a little frustrated that there is no excitement in life. I was really bored. So I thought I should take up some exciting hobbies. Like skydiving (its really safe, I heard. The sillyporean who died was just plain down on luck or maybe one can count it as "technical fault"). Like snow boarding (with avalanche chasing me to top up the excitement). Now, it shall sound exciting. The former was a little too expensive, putting the amount to somewhere around 5 grands (to be on the conservative side) to fully complete the course. The latter is even more expensive and it probably needs better physique which I lacked.

Then along came salsa. It did changed my life, for a while. Day in day out, I kept thinking about it. I think about when I'm awake. I dreamt of it when I'm asleep. Inside my head are filled with the moves and music. Walking on the road, I was also thinking of executing certain moves or how to improve on them. I was totally so into it back then. Then you know a bunch of great people from the scene. But as usual, anything that is interesting and nice and popular will get themselves involved with some politics of its own. It did. It was just human nature, I guess. Then I reach my peak (mine hor, not world peak), then I can't seems to climb higher, so I take a step back and go downhill. That was 2 years later. It seems salsa cannot push me any further for any more excitement. So its about time I look for something new again? At that point, I'm complaining (I always am, wasn't I?) that life is routinely again. Now its wake up, go to work, get off work, go gym, go salsa. Then on saturday night, its salsa till wee hours.

Man that must be so boring, you think. As I always say, salsa needs a lot of commitment because unless you are a born talent, you will need to put a lot of effort into doing it well. Practice makes perfect and its definitely so for salsa, and I think many other things like cheating at cards and spouses and sex and lies and ... and ... After a while I just got tired, actually that is a long while. Many who had started together in salsa had left. That is you see people come, people go. Give that person one year, I would always say, to see if he will stay long. In most cases, after a year, the person's passion just died out and will move on to other priorities. Normally when the person got attached, irregardless if both party are in the same scene. Same scene last abit longer, one of the party from outside the scene, you can see the person disappear faster than you can say byebye.

Another year passed by and still there was no change. You know, change costs moolah, sometimes lotsa it. But I do have cut down my salsa by a major percentage. Now its only saturday night reserved for it. The rest of the weekdays I just choose to go home and do other things, like continue staring at my monitor, catch up on those dramas like House / Desperate Housewives /Firefly /Alias /Lost / IT Crowd/Black Adder/Black Books / Numb3ers /Seven Swords / Small ville and not to forget those tons of backlogged anime and manga stocked somewhere inside my house, dating since the 90s. See lah, how can I dun wish for more than 48 hours a day? Speaking of which, I do recommend IT Crowd. One hell of a funny shit. All those IT Support id-10-t issues that are faced most commonly by IT people. No worries. Non IT people can so definitely understand it.

You know, someone mention to me that I should just fly over to states to do skydiving. Air ticket plus the full course of it will probably be cheaper than when I do in Sillypore. But then my mom will probably go nagging on me. Well, at least she did not stop me from diving but I won't know how she is going to take it when I'm telling her I'm jumping off the plane, 4000 feet above ground. Anyone care to join me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home