Monday, May 08, 2006

Performance vs Dance

So You Think You Can Dance is still a entertainment show that tried to show off dancing but not totally staying true to dancing. And as with all usual popular stuffs, politics will somehow mixed into it. By the time I watched till the final 8, the kind of prejudice in the show was getting pretty obvious.
I guess its also 50% luck as well since you have to choose a compatible with chemistry dance partner and a dance that one could shines.

I could serious felt for some of them, who got knocked out before getting to shine. Its really sad. Basically, no one wants to pick up any ballroom standard dance. You can see the face when they pulled a ballroom standard dance out of the hat. I thought they were probably some of the toughest dances to pick up, unless you were trained for it. Probably the only 2 person who could pulled it off with ease and enthusiasm were the 2 trained ballroom professional dancer. The only sad thing was that the two NEVER got a dance to partner together. It might be mind-blowing. It might.

At the same time, I hate the prejudice on the show. The kind of leniency that show to that cocky highly confident guy. First this guy was been told for being cocky and he rebuked bad-mouthed the judge on the show after he got out of the judgement room and shrugged it off as being confidence and not cocky-ness. Then I was thinking that if that guy was so going to pull out a standard ballroom dance, he would be at the bottom, but nop, he still dun. Even if he got the praise from the judgement, I still dun think he did the samba really well. Me. My own judgement. Who cares.

I thought the judge felt for the guy who got knocked off the show because he did not perform well enough for a dance that is just not exactly his style, even when he tried really hard. The judge even told the guy that the guy was probably the most technical dancer of the show. But too bad for him, this show was about performancing in front of american tv. Its a kind of wake up calls to the rest of the remaining dancers and you see them starting to leave behind some of their technicality of their dance to mix in the entertainment factor. Still entertaining to watch, I would say.

I might update again, when I finished the whole season, and see if I see any more shit.

Did I mention that someone told me that guys who dance are gay. Show her the finger! Not especially when she mentioned that salsa especially. Double shot of the finger. Hey, you ladies are in for a treat with so many hotbod guys dancing half naked on the show almost every episode.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Managed to catch one episode today and the judge said what matters is the dance entertains the audience and not the technicality of the dance.

I say it's an insult implying that the audience can't tell what a good dance makes of, well, truth is they really cant tell what makes a dance a superb dance. So yeah, the audience are dumb people.

I saw the "salsa" dance and I dun see any count or even basic steps found in the dance to be called salsa.

To further bitch about the stupidity of the audience, the recent performance done at Hard Rock Cafe was well-received by the audience yet to any hardcore salsaroes, it's technically lacking and messy... but I don't deny that it is indeed entertaining.

Which makes me wonder where to draw the line between an entertaining chero and a techincally difficult chero? Depends on the type of audience that you are performing infront of I guess...

- Chan Ma Ma

9/5/06 06:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the whole problem. If you are going to ask the audiences to start throwing in the votes on which dance do they like, the performances like Disco and Jives and Hip Hop that are full of explosion and energy that will win the votes easily.

But of course, you have to cater in to the group of people watching them, their like and preferencing. That is why Brain Friedman did ever comment on Melody that she can dance and she can entertain.

Truly, haven't we seen enough on live competition, tricks and impressive stunts received way more cheers than a well chereographed dance.

I guess have to give them the credit of "memorizing" the routine of something that they have never done before. Foot step counts that are commonly found in standard ballroom and latin dances are almost not quite existences in those free styling lyrical jazz and hip hop, I would say.

End of it all, general audience would just love tricks and stunts than anything else.

9/5/06 17:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home