Monday, April 25, 2005

Tango with one's fury

Caught Tango Fire at our dearest "The Bra", aka "Twin Metal-Spiked Balls" over the weekend. It was awesome. It was amazing. It was fanastic. It was hyper. It was energetic.

So what is tango?

Tango is a social dance form that originated in Buenos Aires and Montevideo. The musical styles that evolved together with the dance are also known as tango. Early tango was known as tango criollo or simply tango. Today, there are many tango dance styles including Argentine tango, ballroom tango (American and International styles), Finnish tango, Chinese tango, and vintage tangos. Argentine tango is often regarded as the "authentic" tango since it is closest to that originally danced in Buenos.
I have to say, this is the first time I have watch a tango performance, and I'm totally captivated by it. Ok, exclude the time when I'm attending the Singapore Dance Master 2005. This is totally difference class of tango. The kick. The sweep. The swing. The throw-about. The moment. The passion. The feeling.

The kicking/sweeping (period me for i know not the term for me no tango dancer. Yet.) between the legs are very quick, fast and sharp action. I wonder if they will dislodge their kneel by doing so much of those quick moment. The only time I recalled having quick lightening fast action between my legs was someone coming in on my groins.

There's 2 half to the show. First half started with a scene in a dancing club where people meet to drink and get to dance tango. There are funny moments to put in the fair bit of humour. You have one scene, which was one that I truly likes, where the guys are getting into a "fight" and its a 3 guys vs 2 guys affair. And how they "fight" using tango. Simply amazing. The first thing that appear in my mind was a Hong Kong movie Para Para Sakura. Another movie from HK back in the 80s that involves competitions and "fighting" using breakdancing is Mismatched Couple. Quite an interesting show then, when breakdancing was all the hype then (wait, do I sound old for experiencing that?).

You even have a scene where 2 couples get to dame like salsa dancers do in rueda. They swap partners, and then they dame again, and its 2 guys dancing with each other, and leaving the 2 ladies standing there, looking at their furiously. This is so funny. Think I shld try this out one day at my usual dance place. I believe the looks on the ladies and the people around will be priceless.

2nd half, you get 3 parters, or rather 3 sessions. The singing, the orquesta tipica, and the dancing. Sorry but the singing was a little too soothing that I kept dozing off. Maybe its all long day for me. Had to wake up early for a salsa workshop, after that go home and have a quick rest, get change and go catch the performance. Its a goddamn sin to ask me to wake up thattttt early on weekend. I will murder anyone for making me wake up too early on weekends without a good valid reason.

Ok, back to tango.

The orquesta tipica was just so good. Full of life. Full of energy. Full of spirit. Full of passion. And the pianist reminds me a little of Maksim, the piano player. If you think tango music is too slow for your liking, you should see them play.

Dancing was no longer choreographed like a play. Its now just pure dancing. So its like taking turns, having the singer(s) doing his/her/their solo, orquesta tipica doing their solos and the dancing (and this is of course done with the orquesta tipica supporting them).

But one thing I hate about watching good group dance performance when it is choreographed to have everyone doing it own set of dances on a fast beat. You eyes just can't keep up with all the moving. You will wonder who you want to catch, who you want to concentrate one. Then you have to develop the rapid eye moment (REM) countermove to catch up, and it takes a lot of concentration. A LOT. And also, a good seat is important just as well. A good distance, a good height, a good angle. Then you will get your perfect enjoyment of an excellent performance. And a little saving on your wallet just as well (watching too many performances in a row is little too taxing on my wallet).

I have always love dancing, to see or to do it myself.

Tango has been on the list of dances that I want to pick up. Doing too many dances is a little too confusing for "junior mario" physique, big thighs, 2 huge left feet. And of course my all important finance minister (the wallet) is definitely not going to be too happy about it.

Think the performance bum it up a little on the priority list though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home